|CLUNY in the Caribbean||"The
Our History in the Caribbean
The First Foundation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny in the Caribbean (taken from the Centenary Magazine of 1936):
Trinidad was not the first of the British colonies to number the Sisters of St Joseph of Cluny as their first educators.
Already in 1823, Sir C. McCarthy, Lieutenant Governor of Sierra Leone, had expressed to their Venerable Foundress then in Africa, the wish to have some of them in the colony entrusted to his care.
The zealous missionary (Anne Marie Javouhey) not only acceded to his desire, but went herself to both Sierra Leone and Gambia, opening houses in each place. This demand of Colonel McCarthy was actuated by the excellent reputation and wonderful results obtained by the nuns at work in the nearby French territories, and it is worthy on note that it was on similar grounds, the Venerable Vicar Apostolic of Trinidad made a like request, some fourteen years later.
However the prime mover in the affair was a fervent Eudist priest, l'abbe Bertin, who, previous to his coming to Trinidad, had been chaplain to the Sisters of St. Joseph at St. Pierre, Martinique.
One of his first acts on arriving here early in 1835, was to impart his ideas to the reigning Prelate, Dr. McDonnell, as to the feasibility of bringing to Port of Spain a few of those good ladies, for the purpose of educating the girls of the colony.
The worthy Bishop not only seconded his views, but commissioned him to write in his name to the Provincial of the Order in the West Indies, then resident at Martinique, with a formal request to establish a house on Trinidadian Soil.
We give textually an extract from the letter written to the Rev. Mother Marie Therese Javouhey, sister to the Foundress, by the Abbe Bertin, in Dr. McDonnell's name.
"Full of admiration for your zeal, your devotedness, and the good you are effecting in the French colonies, His Lordship thinks you would hardly wish to restrict to them your zeal in the progress of religion, and your interest in the education of the young.
He has therefore delegated to me the task of inviting you to come to Port of Spain, and share in our Apostolic labours in this portion of our Lord's vineyard not less dear to Him than that part which you are already cultivating with such great success.
I can assure you that the soil of Trinidad offers great opportunity, and the prospect of an abundant harvest."
"I see that this affair (the foundation of the Convent) will be the starting point of a great benefit of Providence for the country." (Letter, 9th August, 1935 - Mother Marie Therese)
The contents of the above letter were duly imparted to the Venerable Foundress, who in her all-embracing zeal for God's glory and the salvation of sould willingly gave a virtual assent to the foundation, leaving to her sister and delegate in America the task of opening negotiations, bidding her pay a visit to the British island and see for herself how things were.
The Reverend Mother Javouhey came to this colony in May 1835, and was cordially welcomed by the ecclestical authorities. The reception given her, as well as the general aspect of the country, pleased her greatly, but it was first and foremost, the immense tract of spiritual ground offered her, in other words, the vast number of children needing religious instruction, that decided her to grant the good Bishop's request without delay.
At this epoch Catholic parents in this country had no schools to which they might in conscience send their children: an appalling state of affairs reminding one of the lamentations of Jeremiah: "The children are asking for bread, and there is no one to give it to them."
Can we doubt then that the heart of Catholic Trinidad throbbed with gratitude towards the Venerable Mother Javouhey, who so promptly responded to its needs, when in January the following year 1836, Reverend Mother Marie Therese (having returned to Martinique), despatched her assistant Mother Onesime, with five other nuns, to start the new foundation, which was opened formally and with due solemnity by the Right Rev. Dr. McDonnell, Vicar Apostolic, who drew up the official record here appended:
"On January the twenty-ninth of the year eighteen hundred and thirty-six, We Daniel McDonnell, Bishop of Olympus, have received and approved under Jurisdiction, six nuns of the Congregation of St. Joseph of Cluny, that we had asked the Superior of this Congregation, established at St. Pierre, Martinique, to send us, in order to found in this colony a house of education, in which children of every class and religion may receive a solid and adequate grounding.
The members of this establishment are:
Mesdames Pauline Lefevre - Sr. Onesime, Superioress
Adelaide Delorme - Sr. Scholastique
Antoinette Beurier - Sr. Pelagie
Marguerite de Wint - Sr. Louis de Gonzague
Marie Josephine Remi - Sr. Theotiste
Civilise Jacqumel - Sr. Gabrielle
The said nuns having been presented to us as competent to pursue the avocation of teachers.
Drawn up at Port of Spain in the Seventh year of our Pontificate, April 5, the day of the opening of the said establishment."
The Sisters received accommodation at the home of a kind lady, Madame le Cadre Begorrat in St. James Street, our modern Frederick Street, and they remained for some months in this house, until they were able to purchase a suitable building in Kent St., our present Pembroke Street. This building had the inestimable advantage of adjoining the Bishop's residence.
In gratitude to the memory of those early friends of our Sisters, who so hospitably received and helped them to tide over the first difficulties of installation in a strange land, and among strange people, we record here , our deep and lasting gratitude to these, the first benefactors of our Congregation in Trinidad.
The following account of the Foundation appears in Volume II of the "History of Trinidad" by Lionel Mordaunt Fraser, Pg. 342. Published 1896.
"Before closing the record of the year 1836, there is one event which marked it and deserves notice.
In March of that year a notice appeared in the papers of the colony announcing that the "Ladies of the religious order of St. Joseph", purposed shortly to open their establishment for the education of young ladies.
It was in this modest way, that the Institution now known as St Joseph's Convent, first made its appearance.
It did not then occupy its present position in Kent St. (now Pembroke St.) but was domiciled temporarily in a house in St. James St., belonging to a lady of the name of le Cadre. The first Superioress was the Rev. Mother Marie de la Croix, and there are possibly to-day, at an interval of exactly sixty years, a few old ladies who may remember her.
From that day to this the Catholic mothers of Trinidad have been reared in that noble institution, and learned from their saintly teachers, the lesson of religion which have fortified them for their duties in the world, and prepared them also for the world to come, and it is that Convent, especially in its earlier years, that many ladies not of the Catholic faith, have also been indebted for their education."
The following notice on the opening of the boarding school is reprinted from the "Port of Spain Gazette" of the 12th February 1836:
"The Ladies of St. Joseph have the honour to inform the heads of families that their establishment will be opened on the 1st March.
Those persons who are desirous of placing their children in the establishment are invited to apply to the ladies themselves for such information as they may require.
Their prospectus will be published immediately, and will explain both the plan and the terms of tuition; and they trust, by their care and zeal, to render themselves worthy of confidence.
Mme. Le Cadre's House, St James's Street, 12th February, 1836".
|Significant Events of the First Century|
|1836||St Joseph's Convent was founded in the city of Port of Spain.|
Mother Scholastica replaced Mother Marie de la Croix.
Epidemic of Yellow Fever: M. l'Abbe Amiee, the Convent Chaplain, died.
|1842||First Reception of Novices and Religious Profession took place at the Convent.|
|1843||Dr. McDonnell sent a Precious ring to Our Venerable Mother Foundress.|
|1844||Death of Dr. McDonnell, Bishop of Olympus.|
|1846||The inner Chapel of the Convent was completed; the architect of the building, as well as the outer Chapel being Mr. Gabriel de la Sauvagere, Sister Vincent Ferrier's grand-father.|
|1847||Six Novices received the religious habit from Dr. Smith. The nuns were first placed in St. Lucia.|
|1848||Foundation in Roseau, Dominica.|
|1850||A Great Fire in Port of Spain caused consternation at the Convent.|
of our Venerable Mother Foundress, the 15th July, at the Motherhouse of
the Congregation, Paris.
Most Rev. Dr. Smith installed as Archbishop of Port of Spain.
of His Excellency, The Most Rev. Dr. Smith.
Rev. Mother Scholastica is succeeded by Rev. Mother Seraphine.
of Yellow Fever broke out.
Day pupils received for the first time at the Convent.
Arrival of His Excellency Dr. Spaecapietra from St. Thomas.
|1854||Foundation in Castries, St. Lucia.|
|1856||Mother Teresa Patterson was sent to our Convent in St. Vincent.|
Mother Louise Wright, a Trinidadian succeeded Rev. Mother Seraphine.
Departure of His Excellency, the Most Rev. Dr. Spaccapietra
Departure from St. Vincent.
Etheridge of Demerara became Provisional Administrator of the
New elementary school opened by the Nuns, on the site of St. George's College.
JUBILEE OF THE CONVENT.
Arrival of Archbishop English.
|1862||Death of His Excellency, Archbishop English.|
Gonzague was named superior.
The Fathers of the Holy Ghost arrived in Trinidad.
in Soufriere, St. Lucia.
Arrival of His Excellency, Dr. Gonin, and the Dominican Fathers.
Teresa Patterson was sent to our house in the island of St. Thomas.
Transfer of the Elementary School to Providence.
|1867||Blessing of St. Mary's College (Holy Ghost Fathers).|
Dominican Nuns arrived in Trinidad.
Very Rev. Mother General Rosalie died.
|1869||A dreadful epidemic of yellow fever carried away two Dominican Fathers, two Brothers from St. Mary's College, one of our Sisters, and nine Dominican nuns.|
Convent opened at Diego Martin
Foundation in St. Joseph, Trinidad.
|1871||Purchase of the ground for Providence School.|
Opening of the Convent at St. Joseph.
Year of Little Flower's birth, St. Therese is the Patroness of the St. Joseph's Convent Schools.
|1874||Fr. O'Carroll, O.P, consecrated Bishop, Coadjutor to Archbishop Gonin.|
|1875||Foundation of St. George's, Grenada.|
Rev. Mother Gonzague died at Barbados.
|1881||Another epidemic of yellow fever broke out: Dominican Fathers and our Sisters were attacked by it.|
|1882||The Convent at San Fernando opened.|
|1883||The Catechism first taught in English at the Convent.|
|1884||The Very Rev. Mother Marie de Jesus, Fourth Superior General, died.|
|1885||Convent at Arima founded.|
|1886||GOLDEN JUBILEE of the Convent.|
|1887||Two new Schools opened: Newtown and the Sacred Heart School.|
of Archbishop Gonin.
Archbishop Flood succeeds him.
Buildings at External side completed.
A Convent opened at San Raphael.
|1891||The inmates of the Convent greatly alarmed by the outbreak of two fires in the City.|
Foundation in Vieux Fort, St. Lucia
|1894||An outbreak of yellow fever, which caused the death of the Superioress of the Convent and three other nuns in the Port of Spain House.|
|1895||The Training School opened.|
|1896||Diamond Jubilee of St. Joseph's Convent.|
|1897||Centenary of British Rule in Trinidad.|
|1898||Foundation at Gros Islet, St. Lucia.|
|1900||Opening of the New Century, by Celebration of Midnight Mass at the Convent.|
|1902||Terrible eruption o f Mt. Pelee in Martinique: thirty-three of our Sisters perished in the disaster.|
|1903||Death of Our Holy Father Pope Leo XIII. Accession of Pope Pius X.|
|1906||Great earthquake at St. Lucia: The Convent Chapel very seriously damaged.|
Hall completed.. It received its name from the fact of the
Congregation being one hundred years in existence.
Our Venerable Archbishop Flood died.
Very Rev. Superior General Mother Basil, died.
Yellow fever again made its appearance: one sister died from it.
|1908||Two of our Sisters died from yellow fever.|
|1909||His Grace the Most Rev. Dr. Dowling entered Port of Spain as its Archbishop.|
|1910||The Very Reverend Mother St. Othilde came to the Convent as Visitator.|
|1911||Ruby Jubilee of the Convent.|
|1912||The Benedictines arrived in Trinidad.|
|1913||The Golden Jubilee of St. Mary's College.|
|1914||Outbreak of the Great War.|
|1916||The celebrated "Easter Week" in Ireland causes anxiety to Irish People in Trinidad, a number of these being inmates of the Convent.|
of the Mother General, Very Rev. Mother St. Lutegarde.
Golden Jubilee of the Dominican Nuns.
|1920||Rev. Mother Andrew assumes charge as Principal of the Convent.|
|1927||Several changes in the distribution of the convent classroooms; the wall between the Convent proper and Centenary grounds demolished.|
|1928||Re-opening of the Novitiate at Port of Spain, which had been closed some years.|
|1930||Change of Superiors at the Convent. Rev. Mother Gertrude replaced Mother Andrew.|
|1931||His Grace the Archbishop prescribed public prayers to avert the scourge of divorce from the land of the Trinity.|
of Sister Amable.
Erection of New Domestic kitchen.
|1933||Completion and blessing of New Wing, on the South side of the Convent.|
of the new Convent at San Fernando; blessing by His Grace the
Completion and blessing of Arouca, due to the exertions of the Very Rev. Jeremiah Maher, P.P.
|1936||The Convent celebrations of the hundreth anniversary of the nuns in Trinidad.|
The Second Century begins
|Mother Gabriel Mary Gallagher arrived from Ireland as Provincial Superior. Centenary Celebrations for the arrival of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny were held in Port of Spain.|
Joseph of Cluny Sisters go to St. Theresa's Intermediate School,
Woodbrook, Port of Spain.
St. Gabriel's R.C Primary School, named after Mother Gabriel, transfers to new building on Lord St., San Fernando.
Sisters go to re-open Mission in St. Vincent and live in rented house
Sisters go to new Mucurapo R.C Primary School, Port of Spain.
of new Convent, Arouca, as a holiday house.
New Arima Girls' R.C School constructed and blessed. Private School occupies vacated premises in Convent.
April: Foundation of Convent in Scarborough, Tobago. Sisters take charge of R.C Primary School, as Principal and Assistant Teachers.
September: Sisters assume Principalship of St. Mary's R.C. School, Kingstown, St. Vincent.
|1943||Sisters open Fatima High School in Curepe, Trinidad.|
24th: Disastrous fire consumed St. Joseph's Convent, Port of
Spain. Four Sisters perished in the conflagration.
May 25th: Funeral Service in the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. P.O.S Dignataries followed the funeral procession and crowds lined the streets to Lapeyrouse Cemetary.
Novitiate transferred to Arouca as a consequence of fire.
|1945||July 29th: Laying of corner-stone of new chapel in Pembroke St., Port of Spain, by Archbishop Finbar Ryan.|
|1946||January: New Secondary School completed and opened, blessed by Archbishop Finbar Ryan.|
Secondary School opened in Kingstown, St. Vincent.
March 23rd: Blessing of new Chapel in Port of Spain by Archbishop Ryan.
March 24th: First ceremony of Final Vows and Religious Profession of Sisters took place in new Chapel.
March 27th: Mother Gabriel Mary left Trinidad for Mother House, Paris, where she was elected General Councillor.
March 28th: Rev. Mother Raphael Glynn succeeded her as Provincial Superior.
January: Transfer of St. Theresa's Intermediate School, Woodbrook, to Sisters of the Holy Faith, newly arrived in Trinidad.
|1948||First Girls' Scholarship won by Corinna Achong of St. Joseph's Convent, Port of Spain.|
|1950||October 10th: Day of special rejoicing. Beatification of Anne Marie Javouhey, Foundress of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny, in St. Peter's Basilica, Rome. Sisters from the West Indies were present at the ceremony and were favoured with a special audience by Pope Pius XII in Castelgondolfo.|
|1952||Rev. Mother Raphael Glynn was awarded a special Coronation Medal for her services to Education in Trinidad & Tobago.|
Florence Kernahan, Principal of the Catholic Women's Training College,
received the Order M.B.E for her work in Education.
September: A new Convent and Secondary School for Girls was opened in Grenville Grenada.
|1954||Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny celebrated the Centenary of their arrival in Castries, St. Lucia.|
Francis Xavier Urich became the first Trinidadian Principal of St.
Joseph's Convent, Port of Spain.
Hurricane "Janet" devastated Grenada. The Sisters were not injured, nor were their Schools or Convents damaged. Deo Gratias!
|1956||St. George's in Grenada raised to the rank of a Bishopric.|
|1957||The first Bishop of St. George's - Bishop Justin Fields, was ordained in the Cathedral.|
|1959||August 30th: Great Fire of Castries destroyed the Convent and School in St. Lucia. The Sisters moved up to a Government house on the Morne outside the city.|
Session of Vatican II Council in Rome. Promulgation of the
Documents of Vatican II set in motion important and far-reaching changes
in the Church.
Trinidad & Tobago granted Independence.
Helen de Verteuil received the Order M.B.E. for her work in Music and
Singing in Trinidad & Tobago.
June 9th: Rev. Mother Raphael Glynn handed over the guidance of the Province to Sr. Francis Xavier Urich, the first Trinidadian Provincial Superior.
August: Blessing of new Convent and School in Torrecilla, Arima, by Archbishop Ryan.
August: Mother Raphael Glynn left for the Mother House, Paris.
September 30th: Hurricane "Flora" devastated Tobago. Sisters' Convent damaged but speedily repaired.
Purchase of property opposite the Convent in Abercromby Street for Maria Regina Grade School.
|1964||"Maria Regina" Grade School blessed and formally opened. Amalgamation of SJC Junior School with "Mother Lydia's Boys' School".|
Andrew's Girls' School opened in Grenville, Grenada. Sisters
December: Papal Bull declares that Vatican II Council is completed.
Blessing of new Mucurapo Girls' R.C School constructed through efforts of Sr. Gabriel Gaston-Johnston.
|1966||The Boarding School of St. Joseph's Convent, Port of Spain was closed.|
Xavier's Private School founded in St. Joseph.
New Convent and Secondary School blessed in Scarborough, Tobago by Bishop Fitzgerald.
Official establishment of 'province of the West Indies' after General Chapter.
19th: Ordination of first Trinidadian Archbishop of Port of
Spain, Right Reverend Anthony Pantin.
In Mesopotamia, St. Vincent, the Sisters undertook the administration of Marriaqua Secondary School. They lived in a rented house.
Secondary School blessed by Bishop Fields who died shortly
afterwards. He was succeeded by Bishop Webster, OSB.
Ceremony of Final Profession held for the first time in Sangre Grande Parish - Sr. Annette Chow.
ceremony of first affiliate members of the Congregation of the Sisters
of St. Joseph of Cluny in the Province.
Independence of Grenada amid protest and unrest under the leader Gairy.
St. Joseph's Convent, St. Joseph, celebrated the Centenary of their foundation.
new convent in Vieux Fort, St. Lucia, was blessed by Bishop Gachet.
Bishop Anthony Dickson was consecrated Bishop of Bridgetown-Kingstown.
of Final Profession held for the first time in St. George's Cathedral -
Sr. Gabrielle Mason, Munich, Grenada.
Blessing of new secondary school, Providence, Belmont, Trinidad.
Sr. Francis Xavier Urich receives the national award "Trinity Gold Medal" for her work in education.
of Final Profession in Church of St. Andrew, Grenville, for the first
time - Sr. Jean Carriman and Sr. Ann Keens Douglas, both of Grenville,
July: First resident Sisters move up to Providence Convent, Port of Spain.
Ceremony of Final Profession held for the first time in Cathedral of Roseau, Dominica - Sr. Sylvia Toulon, Anse-de-Mai, Dominica.
New Convent in Mesopotamia, St. Vincent, blessed by Bishop Anthony Dickson.
Provincialate is transferred from St. Joseph's Convent, Port of Spain,
to Providence Convent, Belmont, when Sr. Francis Xavier Urich,
Provincial, joined the commumity.
January: The National Chaconia Medal is awarded to Sr. Francis Xavier for her services in Education.
Closing of Gros Islet, St. Lucia.
Reverend Mother Rene VAndame, Superior General of the Congregation and
Sister Enda Hanley, Councillor General, visit the Province.
St. George's, Grenada rejoiced to welcome them to participate in the festivities for their Centenary in that Island.
July: Blessing of new holiday house and Youth Centre in Cumana, Toco.
Sr. Pius O'Callaghan returned from Ireland to celebrate her Golden Jubilee of Religious Profession.
Bishop Sydney Charles was ordained Bishop of St. George's, Grenada.
Conferring of Papal Medal BENE MERENTI for outstanding service to the Church on Sr. Berchmans Wilson, in Grenada Cathedral.
September: Catholic Women's Training College occupies buildings vacated in Torrecilla.
December: Sr. Ruth Montrichard joins "SERVOL".
of Final Profession held for the first time in the Parish Church of
Portsmouth, Dominica - Sr. Patricia Ann Douglas.
January 24th: Tragic death of Sr. Celine Cesair, by car accident in Arouca, Trinidad.
May 8th: Tragic death of Sr. Francis Theresa in the village of Grace, St. Lucia.
December 30th: Arrival of Monsignor Paul Tabet, Pro-Nuncio designate to the Antilles, to reside at Providence Convent while finalising arrangements.
of new community of Our Lady of Lourdes, Maraval, Port of Spain, with
seven members with individual apostolates.
Establishment of Diplomatic ties between the Holy See and Trinidad & Tobago. The Apostolic Nunciaure is set up in Providence Convent, temporarily.
public Mass celebrated in the Convent Chapel, St. Joseph's Convent, Port
First Mass and Blessing of renovated Convent quarters in Centenary Hall, Port of Spain.
April: Eruption of Soufriere Volcano, St. Vincent. Refugee camps set up in Schools at Kingstown and Mesopotamia and Sisters minister to people's needs.
Foundation of Inter-Congregational Project at Delaford, Tobago, with Sr. Philip Geofroy on the team.
October: St. Vincent and Grenadines obtain Independence.
of St. Joseph's Convent, Grenville and Llwanga College into single co-ed
school with Sr. Genevieve Baptiste as Principal.
Blessing of renovated college building as St. Joseph's Convent, a residence for the Sisters.
April: Sr. Francis Xavier Urich finishes her term of office as Provincial and is succeeded by Sr. Regina Leiba. The farewell and handing over ceremony is held in St. Joseph's Convent, Port of Spain.
Hurricane "Allen" damages St. Joseph's Convent in Castries and Vieux Fort, St. Lucia.
September: The Apostolic Nunciature moved to St. Clair, Port of Spain. Srs. Emeria Grace and Anna O'Reilly also move to the Nunciature.
July: St. Joseph of Cluny Sisters withdraw from Delaford Project after 2-year engagement completed.
Withdrawal from Soufriere, St. Lucia.
Archbishop Kelvin Felix is ordained Archbishop of Castries, St. Lucia.
|1981||31st August: Gold Medal of Merit of the Order of the Trinity conferred on Sr. Aloysius Ashby, Principal of the Catholic Women's Teacher Training College, for her work in Education.|
Fernando Community celebrates the centenary of its foundation.
July: CWTC closes in Torrecilla, Arima, after 97 years of service to Catholic Teachers in training in Trinidad.
September: Sisters take over administration of St. David's Secondary Co-Ed. School in Grenada with Sr. Paul Sellier as Principal. They reside in a small bungalow nearby.
October: St. Xavier's new Preparatory School is blessed by Archbishop Pantin at St. Joseph, Trinidad.
Sr. Annette Chow begins to work full time in New Image of the Parish (Better World Movement)
by Archbishop Pantin of 'Emmaus Centre', Arima, former CWTC and St.
Joseph's Convent High School. It is a House of Prayer and Retreat
- Sr. Rosa Pantin is directress.
October 19th: Massacre in Grenada of Prime Minister, Maurice Bishop and some Cabinet Ministers.
October 23rd: Intervention by American and Caribbean Peace-keeping forces and arrest of offenders
of new Convent in Castries, St. Lucia, by Archbishop Kelvin Felix.
Secondary school occupies vacated convent buildings.
June: Foundation of "NEWLO" (New Life Organisation) in Grenada for under-privileged youth with Sr. Reina Loe as Executive Director.
New Constitutions of the Congregation approved by Rome and distributed to Sisters of the Province.
October: Farewell function for Archbishop Paul Tabet on his appointment as Papal Nuncio to Nigeria, after seven years in Trinidad.
5th: Pope John Paul II visited Trinidad.
March 19th: Conferring of Papal Medal "BENE MERENTI" for outstanding service to the Church, on Sr. Francis Xavier Urich on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee of her Religious Profession.
Welcome function for new Apostolic Pro Nuncio to the Antilles, Archbishop Manuel Monteiro de Castro, in Providence Convent.
June: Srs. Emeria Grace and Enda Mac Namara go out to Nigeria to join Nunciature Staff in Lagos, Nigeria.
September: Conferring of Papal Medal "BENE MERENTI" for outstanding service to the Church in St. Lucia, on Sr. Veronica Condron, on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee of Religious Profession.
Sr. Veronica Condron receives the award MBE.
September: Mrs Thomasine Elie is the first lay principal appointed at St. Joseph's Convent, St. Joseph.
29th: Celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the coming
of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny to the English-speaking West
August: Establishment of Intercongregation Pastoral Project for the Moruga Parish. (Clunies: Sr. Ivy Pacheco and Sr. Barabara Soondar; Holy Faith: Sr Evangelista).
August: Sisters begin Retreat work at Mt. St. Ervan, Grenada.
September: Sr. Jerome Boland founded the "Cluny Senior Citizens Centre" in San Fernando.
September: Sr. Genevieve Baptiste appointed Youth Co-ordinator of Grenada.
Rosemary Carvalho appointed Youth Co-ordinator in Trinidad & Tobago.
Withdrawal from St. David's Secondary School, Grenada.
Sr. Myriam Walsh, having retired from government service, appointed Principal of St. Joseph's College - secondary school managed by the Archdiocese of Port of Spain.
Theresa Corbie appointed Directress of Catechetical Institute in
Sr. Catherine Monteil receives the papal award "Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice".
Sr. Maria Mc Gill receives the papal award "Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice".
Paul D'Ornellas received the award 'Medal of Merit, Gold' for her work
October: Sr. Paul D'Ornellas founded the Foundation for Human Development.
Sr. Regina Leiba's term of office ends, Sr. Anne Marie Rodriguez
appointed Provincial. Provincial Assembly.
August: Blessing of new house in Kingstown.
December: Withdrawal from Moruga.
Sr. Mel Kenny receives the papal award "Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice".
Sr. Regina Leiba receives the papal award "Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice".
Sr. Regina Leiba receives the national award "Medal of Merit" - Gold, for her work in education.
St. Joseph's Convent Secondary School, Grenville, Grenada, celebrates
its 40th anniversary.
August: New foundation of Portsmouth, Dominica. Founding community - Srs Regina Leiba, Theodore Winter and Rochelle Elva.
Sr. Claire Joseph receives the papal award "Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice".
St. Joseph's Convent School, Castries, St. Lucia, celebrates its 140th
August: Sr. Gertrude Tang Kai is assigned to the founding community of the Philippines.
October: Sr. Annette Chow appointed full time assistant to the parish priest of the Toco-Matelot Pastoral area.
Withdrawal from NEWLO, Grenada.
December: Withdrawal from St. Louis R.C. School, St. George's.
Sr. Myriam Walsh retired from the Principalship of St. Joseph's College.
Sr. Reina Loe opens the Centre where Adolescents learn to Love and Serve
(CALLS) in Portsmouth, Dominica.
September: Sr. Mary Patrice Simmons joins the Staff of the Bible Institute.
September: St. Joseph's Convent Secondary School, St. Joseph, Trinidad, celebrates its 140th Anniversary.
Sr. Francis Xavier Urich receives the papal award "Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice".
Sr. Theodore Winter receives the papal award "Bene Merenti".
Sr. Odette Wharfe becomes a therapist at the Drug Rehabilitation Centre,
Mt. St. Benedict.
October: Sr. Regin Leiba founds the CARE Project for the Aged in Portsmouth and surroundings.
November: Providence Secondary School celebrates its 130th Anniversary.
Srs. Anna O'Reilly and Emeria Grace receive the papal award "Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice".
St. Joseph's Convent Secondary School, Kingstown, St. Vincent,
celebrates its 50th Annivarsary.
St. Mary's R.C Primary School, Kingstown, celebrates its 60th Anniversary.
Withdrawal from Mt. St. Ervan Retreat Centre, Grenada.
Sr. Claire Joseph receives the St. Lucia national award "Les Pitons Gold Medal" for her work in education.
Provincial Assembly at Emmaus Centre.
October: Sr. Bernard Ng Fan assigned as secretary in the Motherhouse.
July: Withdrawal from Sacred Heart Montessori School.
31 October: Withdrawal from Vieux Fort, St. Lucia.
Sr. Theresa Egan receives the award "Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice".
Sr. Jerome Boland appointed Principal of Rosa Mystica Pre-School - a
school managed by the Carmelite Sisters.
March: Archbishop Anthony Pantin, Archbishop of Port of Spain, first native bishop, died suddenly.
St. George's, Grenada, celebrates the 125th Anniversary of the Arrival of the Sisters, and the foundation of the secondary school.
October: Opening of Student's Hostel, St Augustine. Sr. Christina Ali is the manageress.
Sr. Marguerite Shanagher receives the papal award "Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice".
31 December: Attack on worshippers at 6.00 a.m Mass at the Cathedral in Castries, St. Lucia. Sr. Theresa Egan was killed and Sr. Mel Kenny suffered minor injuries.
Edward Gilbert, Bishop of Roseau, Dominica, appointed Archbishop of Port
Sr. Gabrielle Mason receives the Grenada Independence Award for her work in education.